HELLO FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
This week has been #crazy.
We all left the MTC on Tuesday, and got on the flight to Fortaleza!! We landed and President and Sister Chamberlain were waiting for us (President gives great hugs), and we went to the Mission Office!! Later that day, we went to their super nice mission home and spent the night.
The next day, I met my trainer Elder Momesso!! He is the coolest guy ever. He is from Sao Paulo and I understand about half of what he says, but we get along great. He's been here 6 months, and this is his second area. We got in a taxi and went to our area, (BTW, Taxi drivers in Fortaleza drive like they're playing flippin Need for Speed). Our area is Parquelandia!!
This Sunday, I got to confirm one of the recently baptized members. His name is Rian and he is super shy and small but he is the coolest. People here in this area are super open to hear our message!!! However, it is difficult for people to want to follow up on their commitments and act. We have 5 progressing investigators already!! Alejandre, Vilani, Junior, and Mateus e Maria. They're eager to learn and we are VERY eager to teach.
The first day was very hard. I quickly realized I was in a different country, speaking a different language, in 90 degree heat, walking on foot to every place in our area, and that they don't have peanut butter. It's hard for me to understand anyone here because they have a SUPER thick accent. Even Elder Momesso can't understand some of what they're saying.
Despite all of this, I have been called to serve here in Fortaleza for a reason, to serve the Lord and to teach his gospel. I have felt his love for me while in Fortaleza. I have felt the love he has for his people here. This week has been really hard for me, but I have learned the power of trusting in God. When I feel overwhelmed, I simply put my faith in the Lord and work as hard as I can and God provides me with the energy to keep going. My confidence in my Portuguese took a hit when I first got here because I couldn't understand anyone, even my companion, but my faith in the Gift of Tongues has increased. Every time I open my mouth to preach the gospel to someone in the street or in a baixo (some weird type of store), my tongue is loosed and I can speak. It's still broken Portuguese, but I can bear my testimony with power and with strength. I'm so grateful to be here, and I absolutely love it here.
Amo Vocês!!!
-Elder Eliason

No comments:
Post a Comment