Elder Connor Eliason

Elder Connor Eliason

Friday, November 10, 2017

No Empty Chairs

Hello Family!!!

I was devastated to hear about Grandpa Eliason's passing on Wednesday. I got taken out of language class on Wednesday and the secretary took me to the MTC President´s office and sat me and Elder Oldham down. He then let me read the email that Dad sent to the MTC office and I was completely shaken. But when I read that letter, I felt an overwhelming peace come over me, and I knew that Grandpa was going to watch over me and my entire mission. I am so grateful for the opportunities I had to spend time with my beloved Grandpa. Going on Heritage Tours, talking about how awesome he was at baseball as a kid, and always stressing to me how important family was. 

Its been a rough week for me and I've been taking Grandpa's passing pretty hard but one thing that helped me was an experience I had that same day right after I left the MTC Presidents office. We had to teach a lesson right after I found out, and my companion told me he didn't expect me to be able to teach after hearing that. We had planned the lesson for our investigator 2 hours prior and we decided then I was going to teach on How Families Can Be together forever. I told my companion I was good and that I needed to teach this lesson even if it was just to my instructor posing as an investigator. We went in there and when I taught my lesson, I didn't need any notes, no translations, nothing. I spoke from my heart and I received the Gift of Tongues during that lesson. I bore my testimony with power, and my companion told me after, that he would never forget that experience we had together.

I know it can be hard to lose a loved one like Grandpa, but we know where he is. Because of the plan of salvation, we know how the game ends, we just need to decide which team we want to be on. There is no tragedy in death with the gospel, only in sin. I know that families can be together forever. This has been very hard for me, especially in week 2 of the MTC, but it has renewed my sense of purpose and why I am here. The best way that we can repay Grandpa for all of the love he has given everyone in his family is to "leave no empty chairs at our table". I know that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, death can have no sting.

I LOVE YOU ALL

- Elder Eliason

P.s. - sorry about not having too much MTC stuff, no time :(

1 comment:

  1. Elder Eliason, I read this with tears in my eyes. You are so strong and I know your grandfather was with us in the office on Wednesday. I first I did not know how to tell you, but when you came in and sat down, I knew how you would respond! You are a strong and excellent missionary and will touch many people here in Brazil. Your family can be very proud of you. Elder and Sister Whitaker

    ReplyDelete